“BURNHAM, a parish in the hundred of DENGIE, county of ESSEX, 19½ miles (E. S. E.) from Chelmsford, containing 1371 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Essex, and diocese of London, rated in the king's books at £22. 13. 4., and in the patronage of Lady Jane St. John Mildmay. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, stands about a mile south of the village; on an elevated site, the tower serving as a landmark for mariners. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. The village is situated on the northern bank of the river Crouch, near its estuary: there is a commodious quay; and the oyster-beds, both in the river and on the coast, are extremely productive, a considerable quantity of oysters being annually exported to Holland. There are extensive salt marshes in the vicinity. A school for the instruction of boys and girls has an endowment of about £80 per annum.” [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]
- Census returns are available from the usual sources for 1841-1911, which includes most copies held at the ERO, Wharf Rd, Chelmsford. More information on other ways to view these census returns on the Essex
- A full list of Essex churches
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Burnham-On-Crouch to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Burnham-On-Crouch has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ947959 (Lat/Lon: 51.628218, 0.811639), Burnham-On-Crouch which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)