“CHIGNAL-SMEALY, a parish in the hundred of
CHELMSFORD, county of ESSEX, 4 ¾ miles (N. W. by W.)
from Chelmsford, containing 74 inhabitants. The living
is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of Essex,
and diocese of London, rated in the king's books at
£5. 6. 8., and in the patronage of F. M. Austen, Esq.
The church is dedicated to St. Nicholas.”
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]