Colchester St Botolph
". . .The living of St. Botolph's is a perpetual curacy, united to the rectory of All Saints'; the church has been in ruins since the siege in 1648, exhibiting indications of its original magnificence, and of the antiquity of its style, which appears to have been the early Norman, and of the same date as the neighbouring priory; it was built with bricks of extraordinary hardness, supposed to have been taken from the Roman station; in the interior are several plain massive piers and circular arches, and part of the arches of the triforium is remaining; the west front has a central doorway, on the south side of which is a deeply receding Norman arch; over these are two series of intersecting arches. . ." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]
Top surnames from the 1881 census in Colchester St Botolph, Essex - from British Surnames.
Non-Church of England denominations identified in Colchester St Botolph include: Baptist and Independent/Congregational. [LDS]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Colchester St Botolph to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Colchester St Botolph has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Peers, Sir Charles Reed. St. Botolph's Priory, Colchester. H.M. Stationery Office, London (1917).
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM000249 (Lat/Lon: 51.887033, 0.904262), Colchester St Botolph which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)