Colchester St Nicholas
". . . The living of St. Nicholas is a discharged rectory, rated in the king's books at £10, endowed with £800 royal bounty, and £600 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of Balliol College, Oxford; the church is ancient; the tower some years since fell down upon the nave and the chancel, the latter of which is still in a ruinous state. . . " [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]
" St Nicholas church formerly stood on the High Street. The original church was 12th century ....... rebuilt in the 14th century, and restored again between 1875-76 ............ demolished in 1955....." [wikipedia]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Colchester St Nicholas to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Colchester St Nicholas has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL996252 (Lat/Lon: 51.889606, 0.899152), Colchester St Nicholas which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)