“COLNE (ENGAIN), a parish in the Witham division
of the hundred of LEXDEN, county of ESSEX, 2 ¾
miles (E.) from Halstead, containing 547 inhabitants.
The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of
Colchester, and diocese of London, rated in the king's books at
£13. 17. 6., and in the patronage of the Governors of
Christ's Hospital. The church is dedicated to St.
Andrew. This parish is bounded on the south by the
river Colne, near which passes the Roman road from
Colchester. There is a small endowment for the instruction
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]