East Horndon, or Thorndon is a parish in the Billericay union and Barnstaple hundred, Rochester Diocese, Essex archdenconry, billericay deanery, in the Brentwood county court an police district, on the road from Brentwood to Orsett 3 miles south of Brentwood station, .. 21 miles from London, and 4 miles south-west from Billericay.
The parish consists of about 1,477 acres. Population in 1861 was 475."
[Kelly's Directory of Essex, 1862]
"HORNDON (EAST), a parish in the hundred of
BARSTABLE, county of ESSEX, 4 miles (S. E.) from
Brentwood, containing 459 inhabitants. The living is
a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Essex, and diocese of
London, rated in the king's books at £10. Earl Brownlow
and others were patrons in 1795. The church,
dedicated to All Saints, is a small irregular structure,
with several chapels, which contain portions in different
styles of architecture; the font is in the Norman style;" [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England
(1831) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]