East Horndon, or Thorndon is a parish in the Billericay union and Barnstaple hundred, Rochester Diocese, Essex archdenconry, billericay deanery, in the Brentwood county court an police district, on the road from Brentwood to Orsett 3 miles south of Brentwood station, .. 21 miles from London, and 4 miles south-west from Billericay.
The parish consists of about 1,477 acres. Population in 1861 was 475." [Kelly's Directory of Essex, 1862]
- Census returns are available from the usual sources for 1841-1911, which includes most copies held at the ERO, Wharf Rd, Chelmsford. More information on other ways to view these census returns on the Essex
- A full list of Essex churches
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from East Horndon to another place.
- East Horndon was a member of the Barstable Hundred
You can see the administrative areas in which East Horndon has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ633888 (Lat/Lon: 51.574417, 0.35512), East Horndon which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- East Horndon was a member of the Billericay Poor Law Union