Hide

Felsted

hide
Hide

"FELSTEAD, a parish in the hundred of HINCKFORD, county of ESSEX, 4 miles (E. S. E.) from Great Dunmow, containing 1724 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Middlesex, and diocese of London, rated in the king's books at £13. 6. 8., and in the patronage of the Hon. W. T. L. P. Wellesley. The church, dedicated to the Holy Cross, has lately received an addition of seventy free sittings, the Incorporated Society for the enlargement of churches and chapels having granted £50 towards defraying the expense; in it is a superb monument to the memory of Lord Rich, who, in the reign of Elizabeth, founded a free school and an almshouse, the former of which has been long supported by some of the principal families in the county. Sydney Boteler, in 1690, gave a rent-charge of £7 12. per annum, for clothing and teaching six children, and other purposes." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]

Hide
topup

Census

  • Census returns are available from the usual sources for 1841-1911, which includes most copies held at the ERO, Wharf Rd, Chelmsford. More information on other ways to view these census returns on the Essex
topup

Church History

topup

Historical Geography

  • Felstad was a member of the Hinckford Hundred
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Felstad was a member of the Dunmow Poor Law Union