Harlow is a railway and telegraph station on the Eastern Counties (Cambridge) railway, on the borders of Hartfordshire. It is in the Hundred of Harlow, Epping union, Rochester disocese, Essex archdeaconry, and Harlow deanery, and is in the Bishop Stortford county court district, South Essex; it is 26 1/2 miles by rail from London and 23 by road, 7 miles north-west of Onger, 6 miles south of Bishop Stortford, and about 5 1/2 miles north of Epping, 10 miles north-east of Chestunt, 12 miles west of Hertford and Ware, 21 1/2 miles south from Cambridge and 18 miles west of Chelmsford."
[Kelly's Directory of Essex, 1862]
- Census returns are available from the usual sources for 1841-1911, which includes most copies held at the ERO, Wharf Rd, Chelmsford. More information on other ways to view these census returns on the Essex
|St. John the Baptist, Harlow, Church of England|
|St. Mary Magdalene, Harlow, Church of England|
|St. Mary the St. Hugh, Harlow, Church of England|
|St. Paul, Harlow, Church of England|
- A full list of Essex churches
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Harlow to another place.
- Harlow was a member of the Harlow Hundred
You can see the administrative areas in which Harlow has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL467111 (Lat/Lon: 51.779343, 0.125119), Harlow which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Harlow was a member of the Epping Poor Law Union