“BUMPSTEAD-HELION, a parish in the hundred of FRESHWELL, county of ESSEX, 8 ¾ miles (N. N. E.) from Thaxted, containing 773 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Colchester, and diocese of London, rated in the king's books at £13, and in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew.” [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]
- Census returns are available from the usual sources for 1841-1911, which includes most copies held at the ERO, Wharf Rd, Chelmsford. More information on other ways to view these census returns on the Essex
- A full list of Essex churches
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Helions Bumpstead to another place.
- Helions Bumpstead was a member of the Freshwell Hundred
You can see the administrative areas in which Helions Bumpstead has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL649416 (Lat/Lon: 52.048262, 0.403295), Helions Bumpstead which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)