"ONGAR (HIGH), a parish in the hundred of ONGAR,
county of ESSEX, ¾ of a mile (N. E.) from Chipping-Ongar, containing 1126 inhabitants. The living is a
rectory, in the archdeaconry of Essex, and diocese of
London, rated in the king's books at £39. 10. 5, and in the patronage of the
Executors of the Rev. E. Earle.
The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is lofty and spacious,
with an arched roof, having clouds, stars, and a rising
sun, painted on it." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]