"LAINDON, a parish in the hundred of BARSTABLE,
county of ESSEX, 3½ miles (S. by E.) from Billericay,
containing, with the chapelry of Basildon, 544 inhabitants.
The living, is a rectory, in the jurisdiction of the
Commissary of Essex and Herts, concurrently with the
Consistorial Court of the Bishop of London, rated in
the king's books at £35. 6. 8., and in the patronage of
the Bishop of London. The church is dedicated to St.
Nicholas." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]