"LANGLEY, a parish in the hundred of CLAVERING,
county of ESSEX, 7¾ miles (W. S. W.) from Saffron-Walden, containing 320 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual
curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Clavering,
in the archdeaconry of Colchester, and diocese of London.
The church is dedicated to St. John the Evangelist.
There is a place of worship for Baptists." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]