Leaden Roding, 31 miles from London, in Dunmow union and hundred. Rochester diocese, Essex Archdeaconry, Roding deanery. Population in 1861 was 207 Acres 903.
[Kelly's Directory of Essex, 1862]
"ROOTHING (LEADEN), a parish in the hundred of DUNMOW, county of ESSEX, 6½ miles (S. S. W.) from Great Dunmow, containing 157 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the jurisdiction of the Commissary of Essex and Herts, concurrently with the Consistorial Court of the Bishop of London, rated in the king's books at £12. 13. 4., and in the patronage of the Crown. Five pounds per annum, the gift of an unknown benefactor, is applied for teaching poor children." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]
- Census returns are available from the usual sources for 1841-1911, which includes most copies held at the ERO, Wharf Rd, Chelmsford. More information on other ways to view these census returns on the Essex
- A full list of Essex churches
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Leaden Roding to another place.
- Leaden Roding was a member of the Dunmow Hundred
You can see the administrative areas in which Leaden Roding has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL592134 (Lat/Lon: 51.796593, 0.307218), Leaden Roding which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Leaden Roding was a member of the Dunmow Poor Law Union