“BADDOW (LITTLE), a parish in the hundred of CHELMSFORD, county of ESSEX, 2½ miles (N. by W.) from Danbury, containing, with the hamlet of Little Mead, 583 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Essex., and diocese of London, rated in the king's books at £8. 2. 2., and in the patronage of Col. Strutt, who is also patron of the rectory, which is a sinecure, rated at £.7. 13. 4. The church is dedicated to St. Mary, In 1717, Edward Butler' bequeathed one hundred and ninety-six acres of land, and a wood containing thirty-six acres, directing the proceeds to be applied for clothing and educating children in this parish, and that of Boreham. A school for the instruction of twenty children is supported by the dissenters.” [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]
"MIDDLE-MEAD, a hamlet in the parish of LITTLE
BADDOW, hundred of CHELMSFORD, though locally in
the hundred of Dengie, county of ESSEX, 5 miles (E.
N. E.) from Chelmsford, containing 202 inhabitants." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England
(1831) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]