Margaret Roding, 29 miles from London, in Dunmow union and hundred. Rochester diocese, Essex Arhdeaconry, Roding deanery. Population in 1861 was 236 Acres 1,222.
[Kelly's Directory of Essex, 1862]
"ROOTHING (MARGARET), a parish in the hundred of DUNMOW, county of ESSEX, 7¼ miles (N.N.E.) from Chipping-Ongar, containing 209. inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Middlesex, and diocese of London, rated in the king's books at £10. 12. 6., and in the patronage of Mrs. Harding. The church is dedicated to St. Margaret." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]
- Census returns are available from the usual sources for 1841-1911, which includes most copies held at the ERO, Wharf Rd, Chelmsford. More information on other ways to view these census returns on the Essex
- A full list of Essex churches
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Margaret Roding to another place.
- Margaret Roding was a member of the Dunmow Hundred
You can see the administrative areas in which Margaret Roding has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL600118 (Lat/Lon: 51.781991, 0.318071), Margaret Roding which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Margaret Roding was a member of the Dunmow Poor Law Union