"MARKSHALL, a parish in the Witham division of
the hundred of LEXDEN, county of ESSEX, 2 miles (N.
W.) from Great Coggeshall, containing 59 inhabitants.
The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Colchester,
and diocese of London, rated in the king's books
at £14. F. Honeywood, Esq. was patron in 1800. The
church is dedicated to St. Margaret." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]