"MORETON, a parish in the-hundred of ONGAR,
county of ESSEX, 3 miles (N. by W.) from Chipping-Ongar, containing 408 inhabitants. The living is a
rectory, in the archdeaconry of Essex, and diocese of
London, rated in the king's books at £20, and in the
patronage of the Master and Fellows of St. John's
College, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to St.
Mary." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]