"OVINGTON, a parish in the hundred of HINCKFORD,
county of ESSEX, 2¼ miles (S. by W.) from Clare, containing
149 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, consolidated
with that of Tilbury, in the archdeaconry of
Middlesex, and diocese of London, rated in the king's
books at £7, and in the patronage of John Fisher, Esq.
A small charity school is supported by annual donations." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]