Hide

Salcott-cum-Varley

hide
Hide
"SALCOTT, a parish in the hundred of WINSTREE, county of ESSEX, 8½ miles (S. S. W.) from Colchester, containing 138 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, with Great Wigborough, in the archdeaconry of Colchester, and diocese of London, endowed with £400 private benefaction, and £1200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Bishop of London. The church is dedicated to St. Mary." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]
Hide
topup

Census

  • Census returns are available from the usual sources for 1841-1911, which includes most copies held at the ERO, Wharf Rd, Chelmsford. More information on other ways to view these census returns on the Essex
topup

Church History

topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law, etc.