"OCKENDON (SOUTH), a parish in the hundred
of CHAFFORD, county of ESSEX, 4¼ miles (N. N. W.)
from Grays-Thurrock, containing 777 inhabitants. The
living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Essex, and
diocese of London, rated in the king's books at £33.6. 8., and in the patronage of G. Leith, Esq. The church, dedicated
to St. Nicholas, has a circular embattled tower.
There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists.
Some Saxon silver coins have been found in the parish,
and vestiges of a Roman road may be traced. There is
a building, called Furnace House, where iron was formerly
smelted." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]