Bentley is a small village 14 miles S. W. of Chelmsford, 3 miles N. W. of Brentwood.
"St Paul's, BENTLEY, a chapel of ease to the parish church, is an edifice of flint with stone quoins and dressings, in the Early English style, from designs by Ernest Lee esq. architect, of London, and consists of chancel, nave, south aisle, north porch and on the north side a tower with spire containing 5 bells. . . The Parsonage House adjoins the church. Ten almshouses, originally founded in the 16th century by Sir Anthony Browne knt. were rebuilt about 1856 in the Elizabethan style . . ." [Kelly's Directory of Essex, 1914]