Hide

Walton-le-Soken (Walton on the Naze)

hide
Hide

"WALTON-le-SOKEN [also known as Walton on the Naze], a parish in the hundred of TENDRING, county of ESSEX, 13½ miles (S. E. by E.) from Manningtree, containing 293 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, consolidated with those of Kirby le Soken and Thorpe le Soken, in the jurisdiction of the peculiar court of the Sokens, and subject to the visitation of the Bishop of London, the wills and records being deposited at the residence of the lord of the manor, at Harwich; it is rated in the king's books at £9. The church, dedicated to All Saints, was erected and consecrated by Bishop Porteus, about twenty-five years ago, the ancient structure having, a few years previously, been entirely swept away, as well as the churchyard and every house but one of the old village. The parish, which is bounded on three sides by the sea, forms a noted promontory, called the Naze, from the Saxon term, signifying a nose of land. . . The beach is a delightful promenade, and affords superior facilities for bathing, the ebb tides leaving a firm smooth sand several miles in extent; which advantages have, of late years, occasioned a number of invalids, principally from the eastern parts of the comity, to resort hither for the benefit of cold and warm sea-bathing, for whose accommodation convenient machines and baths are in constant readiness, and many commodious lodging-houses have been erected. Adjoining the old hall is a square tower, built by the corporation of the Trinity House, as a mark to guide ships passing, or entering, the port of Harwich; and on other parts of the coast are two Martello towers, also a signal station. The district comprising these three parishes received the distinguishing appellation "le Soken" from some peculiar privileges formerly granted to certain refugees from the Netherlands, who established themselves here and introduced various manufactures, particularly that of cloth." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]

Hide
topup

Census

  • Census returns are available from the usual sources for 1841-1911, which includes most copies held at the ERO, Wharf Rd, Chelmsford. More information on other ways to view these census returns on the Essex
topup

Church History

topup

Historical Geography

  • Walton-le-Soken was a member of the Tendring Hundred