AWRE, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"AWRE, a parish in the hundred of Bledisloe, in the county of Gloucester, 3 miles to the S.E. of Newnham, its post town. It is situated on the western bank of the river Severn, on the edge of the Forest of Dean, and comprises the chapelry of Blakeney, and the tythings of Bledisloe, Etloe, and Hagloe. Some of the inhabitants are engaged in the cloth manufacture. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, of the value of £530, in the gift of the Haberdashers' Company of London. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew. There is also a district church at the village of Blakeney, the living of which is a perpetual curacy value £232, likewise in the gift of the Haberdashers' Company. Iron pyrites occur in this district."
"BLEDISLOE, a hamlet in the parish of Awre, and hundred of Bledisloe, in the county of Gloucester, 2 miles from Newnham. It is seated on the south bank of the river Severn."
"ETLOE, a tything in the parish of Awre, county Gloucester, 2 miles S.E. of Newnham. It is situated near the banks of the Severn."
"HAGLOE, a tything in the parish of Awre, county Gloucester, 3 miles S. of Newnham. It is situated on the river Severn, and is celebrated for the Hagloe crab-apple, from which excellent cider is made."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]