"BECKFORD, a parish in the hundred of Tibaldstone, in the county of Gloucester, 6 miles to the E. of Tewkesbury, its post town. It lies on the confines of Worcestershire, not far from Bredon Hill, and includes the hamlets of Bangrove, Didcote, and Grafton. A priory of Augustine monks was founded here in the 9th century, and refounded in the reign of Henry III., the value of which at the Dissolution was £53. The district is pleasant and hilly, and contains abundance of limestone.
The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, of the value with the perpetual curacy of Ashton-under-Hill, which is annexed to it, of £317, in the patronage of the Rev. Dr. Timbrill. The church, a Norman edifice, is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. The parochial charities amount to £47 per annum. The principal residence is Beckford Hall, surrounded with fine woods and beautiful landscape."
"DIDCOTE, a hamlet in the parish of Beckford, in the county of Gloucester, 6 miles N.E. of Tewkesbury."
"GRAFTON, a hamlet in the parish of Beckford, hundred of Tibbaldstone, county Gloucester, 6 miles N.E. of Tewkesbury. It is situated at the foot of Breedon Hill. A landslip of about 16 acres occurred here in 1764. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1773."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Original source material relating to Beckford, and other parishes in Diocese of Worcester may be found at the Worcestershire Record Office.
- The transcription of the section for Beckford from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Beckford to another place.
- The parish of Beckford was transferred from Gloucestershire to Worcestershire in 1931.
You can see the administrative areas in which Beckford has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO985354 (Lat/Lon: 52.016971, -2.022599), Beckford which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)