CHARLTON KINGS, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"CHARLTON KINGS, a parish in the hundred of Cheltenham, in the county of Gloucester, situated on the high road from London to Cheltenham; it is 1½ mile from the latter place, and 2 S.E. from the Charlton station of the Great Western railway. In the adjacent parish of Dowdeswell the river Chelt rises, and flows through Charlton parish from E. to W. The parish is under the management of a Local Board of Health. In 1855 a handsome vestry-hall was erected close to the church, in which parish meetings are held. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £177 in the patronage of Jesus College, Oxford.
The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a large stone structure, in the perpendicular style. In 1842 it was enlarged, but again requires repairs. It has a tower with clock and peal of six bells, and a new burial-ground has lately been added. The Wesleyans and Baptists have places of worship. There are National schools for both sexes. Battledown, within this parish, was the scene of a skirmish between the royalists and the parliamentary army. It possesses many good residences. The lord of the manor is Sir William Russell, Bart., C.B., M.P. [Recorded as KING'S CHARLTON in Gazetteer -RL 2003]"
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]