"CHURCHAM, a parish partly in the hundred of Westbury, and partly in the lower division of the hundred of Dudstone, in the county of Gloucester, 12 miles E. of Ross, and 5 N.W. from Gloucester. It is situated not far from the South Wales railway. Good crops both of grain and grass are produced here, the soil being red loamy clay. The arable land is more in proportion than the pasture. The river Severn passes to the S. of the parish, which includes the hamlets of Over, Highnam, and Linton.
The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value with the curacy of Bulley, £386, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester. There is a district church at Highnam, the living of which is a perpetual curacy*, value £130, in the patronage of T. G. Parry, Esq. The parish church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is in the Norman style, having a low spire with six bells. The Wesleyans have a chapel. The chief landowners are the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester."
"LINTON, a hamlet in the parish of Churcham, lower division of the hundred of Dudstone, county Gloucester, 2 miles N.W. of Gloucester. It is joined with Highnam and Over."
"OVER, a hamlet in the parish of Churcham, lower division of the hundred of Dudstone, county Gloucester, 1 mile N.W. of Gloucester. It is situated at the conjunction of the Hereford canal with the river Severn, over which is a bridge of 150 feet span, erected in 1829."