- Manor House (Illustration)
- Manor of Clifford
- Advowson of the Church
- Table of Quarterings
MANOR & ADVOWSON
SOME ACCOUNT OF ITS POSSESSORS
Reprinted from the Transactions of the Bristol
& Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, Vol XIV, Part I.
SIR JOHN MACLEAN, F.S.A., V.P.
Vice-President of the Royal Archaeological Institute, Hon. Member
of the Royal Institution of Cornwall, &c.
PRINTED BY C.T. JEFFERIES & SONS, BRISTOL.
- "CLIFFORD CHAMBERS, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Tewkesbury, in the county of Gloucester, 2 miles S. of Stratford-on-Avon. The village is pleasantly situated on the river Avon. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £172, in the patronage of the Rev. T. G. Tyndall. The church, dedicated to St. Helen, is an ancient stone edifice with tower."
[Description from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Clifford Chambers to another place.
- The parish of Clifford Chambers was transferred from Gloucestershire to Warwickshire in 1931.
You can see the administrative areas in which Clifford Chambers has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- A History of the Manor and Advowson of Clifford Chambers, and some account of its possessors - a transcription by David Parsons of an article reprinted from the Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archæological Society, Vol XIV, Part I by Sir John Maclean, FSA, VP.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP202512 (Lat/Lon: 52.158713, -1.706527), Clifford Chambers which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)