DEERHURST, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"DEERHURST, a parish in the lower divisions of the hundreds of Deerhurst and Westminster, in the county of Gloucester, 2 miles S.W. of Tewkesbury, its post town. It is situated on the river Severn. According to Tanner, Doddo, Duke of Mercia, one of the founders of Tewkesbury Abbey, built a monastery here in 715, which was subsequently destroyed by the Danes, but refounded in 980. Edward the Confessor made it a cell to the Alien abbey of St. Denis in France, and upon the seizure of Alien priories in England it was restored to Tewkesbury Abbey, in the possession of which it remained till the dissolution of monasteries, when it was granted to William Throckmorton.
The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value with the curacy of Apperley, £102, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, formerly belonged to the priory. It has a nave with two aisles, and a square tower containing six bells. It was rebuilt in 1490, and has Norman traces, painted windows, and a fine canopied brass of Chief Baron Cassy, A.D. 1400. There is a chapel for Wesleyans. Deerhurst gives the title of viscount to the Earl of Coventry."
"APPERLEY, a hamlet united with Whitefield, in the parish of Deerhurst, hundred of Westminster, in the county of Gloucester, 3 miles from Tewkesbury. It is situated on the river Severn, and contains Apperley Court, the residence of Miss Strickland. The curacy is united with that of Deerhurst. There is a chapel for Wesleyan Methodists."
"DEERHURST WALTON, a hamlet in the parish of Deerhurst, lower division of the hundred of Westminster, in the county of Gloucester, 1 mile from Deerhurst proper."
"WHITEFIELD, a hamlet in the parish of Deerhurst, county Gloucester, 3 miles S.W. of Tewkesbury. It is joined with Apperley to form a township."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]