"DORSINGTON, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Kiftsgate, in the county of Gloucester, 4 miles N.E. of the Honeybourne station on the Oxford and Wolverhampton railway, and 4 S.W. of Stratford-on-Avon. Long Marston is its post town. It is situated near the river Avon, and at the time of the Domesday Survey belonged to Roger de Belmont, from whom it descended to the earls of Warwick. The greater part of the parish is a stiff clay, and the land chiefly arable. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £199, in the patronage of J. Harward, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a small brick structure of the middle of the last century. The whole village with the church was destroyed by fire in 1754. There is a small charity of £1."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Dorsington from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Dorsington to another place.
- The parish of Dorsington was transferred from Gloucestershire to Warwickshire in 1931.
You can see the administrative areas in which Dorsington has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP135495 (Lat/Lon: 52.143866, -1.803731), Dorsington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)