"DUMBLETON, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Kiftsgate, in the county of Gloucester, 4 miles N. of Winchcombe, and 6 S.W. of Evesham, its post town and nearest railway station on the Oxford and Wolverhampton line. It is situated on the river Isburn. The village is small; some of the inhabitants are engaged in glove making for the Worcester houses. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £354, in the patronage of E. Holland, Esq., who is lord of the manor. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient stone structure, with tower and clock. It contains monuments of the Cocks family and others. The parochial charities produce about £50 per annum. There is a National school for boys and girls, also an infant school. Dumbleton Hall is the principal residence."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Original source material relating to Dumbleton, and other parishes in Diocese of Gloucester may be found at the Gloucestershire Archives.
- The transcription of the section for Dumbleton from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Dumbleton to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Dumbleton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP020361 (Lat/Lon: 52.023133, -1.97256), Dumbleton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)