EBRINGTON, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"EBRINGTON, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Kiftsgate, county Gloucester, 2 miles N.E. of Chipping Campden, its post town, and 1 mile from the Campden station on the Oxford, Worcester, and Wolverhampton railway. It is situated on the Cotswold hills, and includes the hamlets of Charingworth and Hidcote Boyce. Stone is quarried for building purposes. The living is a vicarage* annexed to the vicarage* of Mickleton, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, a spacious stone edifice, dedicated to St. Edburgh, has a fine E. window of stained-glass. It contains monuments of the Fortescue family. There are some small charities. Earl Fortescue is lord of the manor, from which he takes the title of viscount. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1813."
"CHARINGWORTH, a hamlet in the parish of Ebrington, in the county of Gloucester, 2 miles E. of Chipping Campden."
"HIDCOTE-BOYCE, a hamlet in the parish of Ebrington, upper division of the hundred of Kiftsgate, county Gloucester, 1½ mile N. of Ebrington."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]