"ELBERTON, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Berkeley, county Gloucester, 2 miles S.W. of Thornbury, and 8 N.W. of the railway station at Yate. Almondsbury is its post town. The road from Sodbury to Aust Passage runs through the village, and the Thames and Severn canal passes in the vicinity. Two-thirds of the land is pasture, the remainder arable and woodland. The soil is partly sandy, and partly a deep rich loam. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £226, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is a stone building in the early English style of architecture. It is dedicated to St. John. There are a few small charities, and a National school for both sexes. In the neighbourhood may be seen some traces of a Roman camp. R. C. Lippincott, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Original source material relating to Elberton, and other parishes in Diocese of Bristol may be found at the Bristol Record Office.
- The transcription of the section for Elberton from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Elberton to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Elberton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST597890 (Lat/Lon: 51.598294, -2.583761), Elberton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)