"ENGLISH BICKNOR, a parish in the hundred of St. Briavels, in the county of Gloucester, 6 miles to the W. of Mitcheldean. Coleford is its post town. It is in the Forest of Dean, on the east bank of the river Wye. Coal and iron are obtained, and limestone is quarried here. The district is noted for its apples, which are much used for making cider. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, of the value of £300, in the patronage of the Provost and Fellows of Queen's College, Oxford. The church, which stands on the site of an ancient camp, is dedicated to St. Mary. The parochial charities amount to £5 per annum. The chief residence is Bickner Court, finely seated on a cliff over the Wye."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Original source material relating to English Bicknor, and other parishes in Diocese of Gloucester may be found at the Gloucestershire Archives.
- The transcription of the section for English Bicknor from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from English Bicknor to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which English Bicknor has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO575153 (Lat/Lon: 51.834448, -2.618007), English Bicknor which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)