Hide

GREAT RISSINGTON, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"GREAT RISSINGTON, a parish and township in the hundred of Slaughter, county Gloucester, 5 miles W. of Burford, its post town, 51 S. of Stow, and 6 N.E. of Northleach. The village, which is of small extent, is situated near the river Windrush, and is wholly agricultural. The surface is in some parts hilly. The soil of the uplands consists of stone brash; but the lower grounds, through which the Windrush flows, are clayey and gravelly. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £647. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is an ancient stone structure. The register is legible from Henry VIII.'s time. The charities produce about £12 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes, endowed with an annuity of £5. Lord Dynevor is lord of the manor."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]