HARTPURY, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"HARTPURY, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Dudstone, county Gloucester, 4 miles S.E. of Newent, 11 S.E. of Ledbury, and 6 N.W. of Gloucester, its post town and railway station. The name of this parish was anciently called Merement. It is situated on the river Leadon, or Leden, near the Hereford and Gloucester canal, and the river Severn, which passes to the E. It is often inundated, but the meadows in the vicinity of the Leden are exceedingly fertile. Cider and perry of excellent quality are made in great quantities. The land is divided between arable and pasture. The soil is a loamy clay, and the surface undulating. There are brick-kilns near the village, which is considerable.
The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £196, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure, with a tower containing three bells. On the N. side are the remains of a painted window. Hartpury House is the principal residence. The parochial charities produce about £56 per annum. The chief landowners are Miss Canning and George Canning, Esq., of Maisemore Court, to whom the manors severally belong."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]