"HAWKESBURY, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Grumbalds Ash, county Gloucester, 4 miles N.E. of Chipping Sodbury, 15 N.E. of Bath, and 16 E. of Bristol. The nearest station is Wickwar, on the Bristol and Birmingham line, and the old road from Bath to Cirencester runs through the parish. It contains the tythings of Hawkesbury, Little Badminton, Hillsley, Kilcott, Tresham, Saddlewood, and Upton. The soil is clay alternating with sand, upon a subsoil of blue lias and sand. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £350, and the impropriate, which belong to the Duke of Beaufort and others, for £231 17s. On the summit of a hill commanding an extensive view is a tower, erected in 1846 to the memory of General Lord R. E. H. Somerset. This place gives name to a deanery in the archdeaconry of Bristol, and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol.
The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £300. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure with a tower, chiefly in the perpendicular style, though portions show traces of Norman architecture. It contains monuments and tombs of the Jenkinsons, earls of Liverpool, who took from this place the title of baron. There are chapels-of-ease at Badminton and Tresham, and a district church dedicated to St. Giles, at Hillsley, the living of which is a perpetual curacy*, value £56, in the patronage of the bishop. There are chapels for Independents, Baptists, and Primitive Methodists, also a National school, and a fund for the education of poor boys, in the hands of trustees. Sir George Samuel Jenkinson is lord of the manor. A fair for cattle and sheep is held on the last Friday in August."
"TRESHAM, a tything in the parish of Hawkesbury, upper division of Grimbald's-Ash hundred, county Gloucester, 6 miles S.W. of Tetbury, and 312 S.E. of Wotton-under-Edge. It is joined with Killcott."
"KILLCOTT, a tything in the parish of Hawkesbury, upper division of the hundred of Grumbald's-Ash, county Gloucester, 3 miles S.E. of Wootton-under-Edge, and 4 E. of Wickwar. It is joined with Saddlewood and Tresham to form a township."
"LITTLE BADMINTON, a tything in the parish of Hawkesbury, upper division of the hundred of Grumbalds Ash, in the county of Gloucester, 1 mile to the N. of Great Badminton."
"SADDLEWOOD, a tything in the parish of Hawkesbury, upper division of Grumbalds-Ash hundred, county Gloucester, 5 miles S.W. of Tetbury. It is in connection with the hamlets of Killcott and Tresham to form a township."
"UPTON, a tything in the parish of Hawkesbury, upper division of Grumbald's-Ash hundred, county Gloucester, 8 miles S.W. of Tetbury."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Original source material relating to Hawkesbury, and other parishes in Diocese of Gloucester may be found at the Gloucestershire Archives.
- The transcription of the section for Hawkesbury from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hawkesbury to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Hawkesbury has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST787880 (Lat/Lon: 51.590865, -2.309573), Hawkesbury which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)