HEWELSFIELD, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"HEWELSFIELD, a parish in the hundred of St. Briavel's, county Gloucester, 7 miles from Coleford, its post town, 6 N.E. of Chepstow, and 2½ from Woolaston station on the South Wales railway. The village, which is small, is wholly agricultural. The parish is bounded on the W. by the river Wye, which separates it from the county of Monmouth. It includes the extra-parochial place of Brockwear Common. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £131 is. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £131. The church is an ancient stone structure with a tower containing eight bells. The parochial charities produce about £2 per annum. Henry Peele, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"BROOKWEAR COMMON, an extra-parochial district in the parish of Hewelsfield, hundred of St. Briavel's, in the county of Gloucester, 5 miles to the N. of Chepstow. It lies on the border of Monmouthshire, on the E. bank of the river Wye."
"HUDNOLLS, an extra parochial place in the parishes of Hewelsfield and St. Briavel's, hundred of St. Briavel's, county Gloucester, 5 miles N.E. of Chepstow. It is situated near the river Wye and Brockwear Common, on the borders of Monmouthshire."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]