Hinton on the Green
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"HINTON-ON-THE-GREEN, a parish in the hundred of Tibaldstone, county Gloucester, 3 miles S.W. of Evesham, its post town. It is a station on the Oxford, Worcester, and Wolverhampton railway. The village, which is of small extent, and wholly agricultural, is situated on the river Isborne. It was anciently called Hynetune, and was given to Gloucester Abbey in 981. It was formerly a market town. Two-thirds of the rectorial tithes belong to the Bishop of Gloucester, and one-third to the rector. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £200. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient structure, with a tower containing. five bells. John Addison B. Cresswell, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003] Additional Note:
|||The B. in "John Addison B. Cresswell" stands for BAKER. John Addison CRESSWELL, of Cresswell, Northumberland, changed his surname to CRESSWELL-BAKER within a year of marrying Elizabeth Mary REED on 25 June 1818 at Camberwell Church, Camberwell, London. She was the heiress of John BAKER of Spitalfields, London, and Hinton on the Green, Gloucs. Under the terms of his will in 1818 (PCC PROB 10/7405) the inheritor of Hinton on the Green had to add the name of BAKER to his own within 12 months. In 1825 (25 Aug) his surname was changed again to BAKER-CRESSWELL and the arms of the BAKER family (a goat) and CRESSWELL (a squirrel) were quartered together (See Burke's LG, 1965 Edn. p 173).|
[This information kindly supplied by Terry Sancroft Baker 23 Dec 2005]
- Original source material relating to Hinton on the Green, and other parishes in Diocese of Worcester may be found at the Worcestershire Record Office.
- The transcription of the section for Hinton on the Green from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hinton on the Green to another place.
- The parish of Hinton on the Green was transferred from Gloucestershire to Worcestershire in 1931.
You can see the administrative areas in which Hinton on the Green has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP025400 (Lat/Lon: 52.058321, -1.965007), Hinton on the Green which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)