"HUCCLECOTE, a hamlet in the parish of Churchdown, upper division of the hundred of Dudstone, county Gloucester, 2½ miles S.E. of the Gloucester railway station, its post town, and 6 S.W. of Cheltenham. The hamlet, which is of large extent, is situated on Ermine Street. There are some brickfields. The land is chiefly arable, and the soil clay. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £30. The church, dedicated to SS. Philip and James, has a bell turret. There is a National school for both sexes, also a chapel for the Wesleyans."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Original source material relating to Hucclecote, and other parishes in Diocese of Gloucester may be found at the Gloucestershire Archives.
- The transcription of the section for Hucclecote from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hucclecote to another place.
- "Ecclesiastical parish formed from Churchdown, 1851."
(Ref: Guide to the Parish Records of the City of Bristol and the County of Gloucester; I. Gray & E. Ralph, 1963)
You can see the administrative areas in which Hucclecote has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO868177 (Lat/Lon: 51.857888, -2.19306), Hucclecote which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)