"KEMERTON, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Tewkesbury, county Gloucester, 5 miles N.E. of Tewkesbury, its post town, and 1½ mile E. of Bredon railway station on the Birmingham and Bristol line. It is situated under Bredon Hill, and on the high road from Tewkesbury to Evesham. On the summit of the above hill are the remains of a Roman camp with a deep trench. There are acme excellent stone quarries and several petrifying springs. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure-Act in 1772.
The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £560. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is a stone structure with a square tower containing a clock and Ox bells. It was rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, in 1850. The parochial charities produce about £15 per annum, the produce of 7 acres of land, left for the repair of the church, with the exception of a small portion, which goes with other small charities to the poor. There is a National school for both sexes, with an endowment of £6 10s. per annum, also a Roman Catholic school. The Wesleyans and Roman Catholics have each a chapel. The principal residences are Kemerton Court and Upper Court. The Rev. John Hopton, of Canon Frome, Herefordshire, is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Original source material relating to Kemerton, and other parishes in Diocese of Worcester may be found at the Worcestershire Record Office.
- The Trustees of The Victoria Hall, Kemerton - The Victoria Hall, Kemerton The First Century - 1902-2002.
Compiled and published by the Trustees, 2002, 52 pages. Copies are available from Ian McLeish, The Old Chapel, Kemerton, Tewkesbury, Glos GL20 7JN (phone 01386 725404), price £2 plus postage.
- The transcription of the section for Kemerton from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kemerton to another place.
- The parish of Kemerton was transferred from Gloucestershire to Worcestershire in 1931.
You can see the administrative areas in which Kemerton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO948376 (Lat/Lon: 52.036618, -2.076501), Kemerton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)