KEMPLEY, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"KEMPLEY, a parish in the hundred of Botloe, county Gloucester, 6 miles N.W. of Newent, 8 N.E. of Ross, and 15 N.W. of Gloucester. It is a scattered village, and is situated near the Gloucester and Hereford canal. The land is nearly equally divided between arable and pasture. The soil is rich and deep, consisting of a stiff red clay, mixed with loam. There are many orchards, producing excellent cider and perry. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £240.
The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £204, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Hereford. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure, with a tower crowned with a low spire, and containing three bells. In the interior is an ancient font and two monuments. The parochial charities produce about £14 per annum, of which £5 goes to the support of Pyndar's school. The old manor Stonehouse, supposed to have been built in the 16th century, is now converted into a farmhouse. Earl Beauchamp is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]