Hide

LONGHOPE, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"LONGHOPE, a parish in the union of Westbury, Duchy of Lancaster, county Gloucester, 5 miles S. of Newent, 6 N. of Newnham, its post town, and 9 W. of Gloucester. The Gloucester and Hereford branch of the Great Western railway has a station here. The main road between Gloucester and Coleford passes through the village, which is considerable. May Hill, in this parish, forms a landmark from the Bristol Channel. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £396 17s. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £384. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient edifice: The parochial endowments, including £135 derived from land, produce nearly £150 per annum. The Baptists and Wesleyans have chapels. Edmond Probyn, Esq., is lord of the manor. Longhope House is the principal residence."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]