"LONGHOPE, a parish in the union of Westbury, Duchy of Lancaster, county Gloucester, 5 miles S. of Newent, 6 N. of Newnham, its post town, and 9 W. of Gloucester. The Gloucester and Hereford branch of the Great Western railway has a station here. The main road between Gloucester and Coleford passes through the village, which is considerable. May Hill, in this parish, forms a landmark from the Bristol Channel. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £396 17s. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £384. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient edifice: The parochial endowments, including £135 derived from land, produce nearly £150 per annum. The Baptists and Wesleyans have chapels. Edmond Probyn, Esq., is lord of the manor. Longhope House is the principal residence."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Original source material relating to Longhope, and other parishes in Diocese of Gloucester may be found at the Gloucestershire Archives.
- The Longhope Village Website are documenting and cataloguing the gravestones of All Saints Church and the Zion Baptist Chapel in Longhope. The Inscriptions are located in the "Family History" section of the website.
- The transcription of the section for Longhope from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Longhope to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Longhope has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO686194 (Lat/Lon: 51.872168, -2.457847), Longhope which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)