"LYDNEY, (or Lidney), a parish in the hundred of Bledisloe, county Gloucester, 4 miles N.W. of Berkeley, and 9 N.E. of Chepstow. The South Wales line of railway has a station here, and the Gloucester and Chepstow road passes through the town. It is situated on the western bank of the river Severn, near the Forest of Dean, and includes the tythings of Aylburton, Alaxton, Nass, Newarne, and Purton. The Romans had a station here, supposed by some to be Abona. The neighbourhood abounds with coal, iron, lime, and good building stone. There are tin-plate works, in which many of the people are employed. A tram-road from Lidbrook passes through here to the river Severn, on which is conveyed coal, &c., to be shipped. In the town is a mechanics' institute. Petty sessions are held every fourth week.
The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value with the curacy of Aylburton annexed, £600, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Hereford. The church is a commodious stone edifice, dedicated to St. Mary. It has a tower and spire and a carved stone pulpit. The whole of the interior has recently undergone thorough repair, and new stained-glass windows inserted. The charities amount to about £5 per annum. The Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists have chapels, and there is a free school for boys and girls. Numerous Roman remains, consisting of coins, pavements, bath, urns, &c., have been brought to light. Lydney Park, in which most of the above were found, is an old seat. Charles Bathurst, Esq., is lord of the manor. Wednesday is market day, and fairs are held on the 4th May and 8th November."
"ALAXTON, a tything in the parish of Lydney, in the county of Gloucester, 4 miles to the N.W. of Berkley. It is near the Severn."
"NASS, a tything in the parish of Lydney, county Gloucester, 4 miles N.W. of Berkeley."
"NEWARNE, a village in the parish of Lydney, county Gloucester, 4 miles N.W. of Berkeley."
"PURTON, a tything in the parish of Lydney, county Gloucester, 3 miles N.W. of Berkeley. There is a ferry over the Severn sands."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Original source material relating to Lydney, and other parishes in Diocese of Gloucester may be found at the Gloucestershire Archives.
- Transcription of section of Kelly's Directory of Gloucestershire for Lydney and Aylburton in 1861, by Brian Kings.
- The transcription of the section for Lydney from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Lydney to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Lydney has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO629028 (Lat/Lon: 51.72263, -2.538785), Lydney which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)