Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for LYDNEY, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

LYDNEY, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"LYDNEY, (or Lidney), a parish in the hundred of Bledisloe, county Gloucester, 4 miles N.W. of Berkeley, and 9 N.E. of Chepstow. The South Wales line of railway has a station here, and the Gloucester and Chepstow road passes through the town. It is situated on the western bank of the river Severn, near the Forest of Dean, and includes the tythings of Aylburton, Alaxton, Nass, Newarne, and Purton. The Romans had a station here, supposed by some to be Abona. The neighbourhood abounds with coal, iron, lime, and good building stone. There are tin-plate works, in which many of the people are employed. A tram-road from Lidbrook passes through here to the river Severn, on which is conveyed coal, &c., to be shipped. In the town is a mechanics' institute. Petty sessions are held every fourth week.

The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value with the curacy of Aylburton annexed, £600, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Hereford. The church is a commodious stone edifice, dedicated to St. Mary. It has a tower and spire and a carved stone pulpit. The whole of the interior has recently undergone thorough repair, and new stained-glass windows inserted. The charities amount to about £5 per annum. The Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists have chapels, and there is a free school for boys and girls. Numerous Roman remains, consisting of coins, pavements, bath, urns, &c., have been brought to light. Lydney Park, in which most of the above were found, is an old seat. Charles Bathurst, Esq., is lord of the manor. Wednesday is market day, and fairs are held on the 4th May and 8th November."

"ALAXTON, a tything in the parish of Lydney, in the county of Gloucester, 4 miles to the N.W. of Berkley. It is near the Severn."

"NASS, a tything in the parish of Lydney, county Gloucester, 4 miles N.W. of Berkeley."

"NEWARNE, a village in the parish of Lydney, county Gloucester, 4 miles N.W. of Berkeley."

"PURTON, a tything in the parish of Lydney, county Gloucester, 3 miles N.W. of Berkeley. There is a ferry over the Severn sands."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]