Hide

MAISEMORE, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"MAISEMORE, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Dudstone, county Gloucester, 2½ miles N.W. of Gloucester, its post town, and 3 S.E. of Hartbury. The village, which is small, is situated at the bridge over the river Severn, which occasionally overflows the adjoining lands. It is wholly agricultural. The soil on the banks of the Severn consists of a red loamy clay, but in the higher places of gravel. The tithes were commuted for land under an Act of Enclosure in 1793. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £89, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Giles, is a stone structure with an embattled tower containing three bells. The chancel has lately been restored. The parochial charities produce about £9 per annum. Maisemon Lodge is the principal residence, from which there are fine views of the surrounding country."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]