MICKLETON, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"MICKLETON, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Kiftsgate, county Gloucester, 2½ miles N.E. of Chipping-Campden, and 3 from the Campden station on the Oxford, Worcester, and Wolverhampton railway. Broadway is its post town. The parish, which includes the hamlets of Clopton and Hidcote-Bartrim, is wholly agricultural. The surface is hilly, comprising a portion of the Cotswold Hills. The soil is a deep clay, producing heavy crops of grain. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £144, and the vicarial for one of £105.
The living is a vicarage* annexed to that of Ebrington, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £299, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Lawrence, is a stone structure with a spired tower, containing six bells. The parochial charities produce about £309, of which £50 goes to the free school, founded and endowed by Richard Porter in 1513. Mickleton House is the principal residence, where Graves, the author of "Spiritual Quixote", was born. Sir Anthony Keck, the eminent lawyer, was born in this parish. Lady Steele is lady of the manor."
"CLOPTON, a hamlet in the parish of Mickleton, in the upper division of the hundred of Kiftsgate, in the county of Gloucester, 3 miles from the Campden station of the Oxford, Worcester, and Wolverhampton railway."
"HIDCOTE-BARTRIM, a hamlet in the parish of Mickleton, upper division of the hundred of Kiftsgate, county Gloucester, 2 miles N.E. of Chipping Campden."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]