Hide

MINSTERWORTH, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"MINSTERWORTH, a parish in the Duchy of Lancaster, county Gloucester, 4 miles S.W. of Gloucester, its post town. The village, which is small, and irregularly built, is situated on the river Severn, and intersected by the turnpike road leading to Newnham and Chepstow. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The land is divided between arable, pasture, and meadow. The soil is rich, and generally very productive, especially in apples for cider. There is a salmon fishery in the Severn at this place. The impropriate tithes, belonging to the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol, have been commuted for a rent-charge of £597 18s. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £125, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a neat structure with a low tower. The parochial charities produce about £20 per annum, of which £4 goes to Ellis's school."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]