Oldbury on the Hill
"OLDBURY-ON-THE-HILL, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Grumbald's Ash, county Gloucester, 5 miles S.W. of Tetbury. Chippenham is its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated among the Cotswold hills. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £245. The living is a rectory with the rectory* of Didmarton annexed, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, joint value £387. The church, dedicated to St. Arild or St. Ariva, is a small ancient structure. There is a village school supported by the Duchess of Beaufort."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Original source material relating to Oldbury on the Hill, and other parishes in Diocese of Gloucester may be found at the Gloucestershire Archives.
- The transcription of the section for Oldbury on the Hill from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Oldbury on the Hill to another place.
- "(Rectory, united with Didmarton since 1735). In civil parish of Didmarton since 1883."
(Ref: Guide to the Parish Records of the City of Bristol and the County of Gloucester; I. Gray & E. Ralph, 1963)
You can see the administrative areas in which Oldbury on the Hill has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST817881 (Lat/Lon: 51.591123, -2.265844), Oldbury on the Hill which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)