[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"OWLPEN, (or Oldpen), a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Berkeley, county Gloucester, 3½ miles E. of Dursley, its post town, and 5½ from the Berkeley Road railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. It is of ancient date, and came through the Owlpens to the Daunts, thence to the Stoughtons, an ancient Irish family. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £149 16s. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory of Newington-Bagpath, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church, which was rebuilt in 1830 at the cost of the incumbent, is a stone structure with a tower containing one bell. The interior contains several old brasses of the Daunt family. T. A. Stoughton, Esq., is lord of the manor and sole landowner."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Original source material relating to Owlpen, and other parishes in Diocese of Gloucester may be found at the Gloucestershire Archives.
- The transcription of the section for Owlpen from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Owlpen to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Owlpen has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- From earliest recorded times the Manor was a focal point for our ancestors. Manorial records which may exist from the time before parish registers begin, may provide clues to our family history, in terms of who our ancestors worked for, what lands they held, what crimes they may have committed, and more. Although its function became replaced by a more central, and less parochial administration, the Manor Houses themselves still survive in many villages. Sometimes they have become farms, or else in other circumstances, Business Parks (for example Staunton, nr. Newent), or else they are still owned by the same family, and are open as "Stately Homes". Owlpen Manor is an example of the latter. There's a good photograph of the Manor House on Owlpen Manor Estate home page - it was, and still is the home of the MANDER family, and their web site also contains some notes on their family history. The surname MANDER(S) is also the subject of a One-Name Study, although this particular branch are possibly more famous for the manufacture of paint!
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST805991 (Lat/Lon: 51.689981, -2.283696), Owlpen which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)